Knives (of all kinds, but mostly small pocket knives), children’s toys
(everything from matchbox cars to miniature figures), jewelry, rubber ducks, socks (in many cases, because these contain a heavy odor of the owner and dogs find that tempting), tape, sewing needles (a Chihuahua swallowed 9), mini headphones, candy wrappers, coins and fishing hooks (this happens a LOT, in some cases, the hooks held the scent of previously caught fish).
How to implement this care tip:
• At least once a month, do a sweep of the entire house; try to look at it from your Maltipoo’s viewpoint. What is within reach? What has fallen to the floor? What is behind furniture? What has rolled to the corners of the kitchen? Just one grape that got away can be deadly, as these are highly toxic to canines. Are there any small toys/socks/small items laying around when they could be placed up high? Go room by room, picking up what is needed.
• Even if your Maltipoo never showed interest before, protect all electrical cords with a cord concealer meant to keep pets from chewing on these and suffering death by electrocution.
• If your Maltipoo has matured since the last ‘puppy-proofing’ session, see what he may be able to achieve now that he is older. If it is even remotely possible that he could nose or paw open lower cabinets in the kitchen or bathroom, place child-proof locks on them.
• Finally, survey the yard. It’s not uncommon for dogs to swallow pebbles (one dog ate 2 cups of gravel from a turtle tank), but weeds, open bags of fertilizer and any sharp objects are concerns as well. And with many types of bees, wasps and hornets making their homes at ground level or under the ground with ground-level entrances, check for newly built nests as well since stinging insects are always a danger for small dogs.