Signs of Heat
When a young female goes into season for the first couple of times, symptoms may be slight and the first few heats may be a bit erratic before her body falls into a rhythm.
The typical signs of the heat cycle include:
• Her vulva will become swollen. You will usually be able to physically see this, it may also a turn a darker color than usual.
• A small amount of blood and other fluids will be discharged. When discharge begins, some mucus can also be mixed in, causing the substance to be a pinkish color as opposed to bright red. The amount of bleeding may be a lot less than one may expect; smaller breed dogs may have negligible amounts. However, if your Maltipoo is laying down in 1 area for a while, a stain may occur on the surface of what she is laying on, therefore, you will want to use methods of keeping your home clean during her heat (more on this ahead).
• A Maltipoo may shed a lot as the cycle is winding down. This is known as “blowing her coat”. Changing hormones can trigger quite a bit of hair to shed in a short amount of time. Do not worry, if this does happen, it will grow back in a couple of months.
• Each time she urinates, a small amount of blood is deposited as well. This sends out a strong signal to any un-neutered males dogs within a 3 mile radius. You may notice that males are interested in her; stray male dogs may hang around your yard, and if a male does approach her, she may flag her tail (move it to one side) if she is receptive to mating.
• Possible behavioral changes. Some females will have a change in behavior
, either becoming a tad clingy or having the opposite mood swing of wanting to retreat during this time. Additionally, a female may have an urge to mate, which would make her prone to trying to run if there is an opportunity. For this reason, care must be taken to keep her securely on leash. Since all un-fixed males will be turning their attention on her, you'll want to limit her exposure in public places where there may be dogs such as parks and pet stores. Another possible sign is nesting behavior. She may want to be alone and arrange blankets and other soft items around her.
• Possible apposite changes - Some females may have a slight decrease or increase in appetite. This is not usually enough to cause any weight changes and feeding
her a bit extra is just fine.